I'm just a busy wife and mom who loves to cook (and hates to clean up afterward), balancing the many hats I wear and trying to look cool, calm, and collected while doing it...

Oh, and I rarely measure anything when I cook, so consider yourself warned. Love good food. Try new things. Eat to your heart's content.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Baked French Toast Casserole


Baked French Toast. French Toast Casserole. Bread Pudding for Breakfast. 

Call it what you will, but this stuff is Delicious.

And so easy!

And a great way to use up that loaf of bread you bought to have with dinner the other night, and totally forgot about. Or is that just me?? (I do that ALL the time!)

This one is also super versatile. Most of the time I just throw stuff in if I want to change it up. It's good with chopped apples, cranberries, pecans... raisins if you're into that kind of grossness... The possibilities are endless.

Any way I make it, it's one of my go-to dishes for brunch, either at home, or if I need to bring something to share with a group, since it transports so easily too.

Almost two years ago, I even posted a slightly different chocolate orange version of this baked french toast dish, but never put just a basic version up, so here it is...


Baked French Toast Casserole

1 Loaf Crusty French Bread (I used a 4-day-old sourdough baguette, and it was amazing!), cut into  1-2 inch cubes.

8 Eggs

2 Cups Milk

1/2 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract

2 tsp. Cinnamon

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1/3 Cup Applesauce


Preheat the oven to 350.

After cutting he bread into cubes, put them into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar and applesauce until well combined.
Pour over the bread, and mix well. Let sit for 15 minutes or so, stirring every 5 minutes or so, to evenly soak up the egg/milk mixture.
Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish, and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.

Serve with maple syrup, and powdered sugar as a garnish, if you' like, though it is sweet enough to eat without adding extra sugar.

It also makes a great dessert, served with ice cream and caramel or butterscotch sauce.

Enjoy!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment